Thursday, July 8, 2010

CHAPTER 2

Almost midnight on April 22, 1990, my mom gave birth to me. I am the fourth child and was the black sheep of the family. Before I came out to this world, my parents were really having a difficulty in living. There were times when they were up, but most of the time, they were down. Because of that my mom decided to go abroad and my father at the same time went to Manila to look for his fortune. Since then, I was separated to my siblings. My 2nd degree grandmother father side took the responsibility of taking care of me and my three older siblings were the responsibility of the 1st degree grandmother mother side.

I could still remember, when my mom told me that before she went to abroad, she showed me a huge wooden frame picture (wall picture) of her and my father just so when I grew, I could still recognize them as my parents.

At my young age, I lived without my parents around. I was a mess when I ate. As a child I couldn’t properly feed myself on my own hands. The surrounding was grimy, so well as my clothes. It’s a bit like I was abandoned because I didn’t have a mother who may possibly take care of me. I could still remember that the children who were playing outside were my own siblings. It was too late for me to recognize them, that they were my brothers and sister. I was three years old that time. I used to be alone. That’s how I started to get sick. My grandmother brought me to a healer who happened to be our relative. They were so afraid that I couldn’t reach till morning because according to them, I didn’t talk. I just lay on the bed without a word as if the only person on earth was me, myself. I was just silent, that I didn’t even complain if I was in pain.

I’ve almost died, according to them. I cried every time I heard the story about it. About my childhood days.. But thanks to God that I was cured in the end. And a near relative to as took care of me after I got sick. She served as my second mother while my real parents were not around. She was already a woman of age when she took the responsibility of taking care of me. And actually, her house was like an orphanage because there so many children who lived there. And I knew that I was the favorite, and was always the “bida”. Unlike before that nobody noticed me. Loved me as how she gave care of me. But since I was the favorite, the other children envied me. They didn’t like me to stay there, but I didn’t just care about it.

I was the youngest by the way and that’s why they hated me. I could still remember one time an older boy burned my feet with his cigarette. I really didn’t know why he did it. I just stared him at one corner that time, looking at him smoking, when he suddenly just put the bonfire cigarette on my feet. I started to cry but I just controlled my tears because according to him, he would burn my feet again with his cigarette if I won’t stop crying.

Until the old woman knew about it, she got mad at the older boy and she never allowed him to stay at the house. You know what? I could still remember that during that time, the only friend of mine was the old woman. When you try to relate me to her, she was actually my 4th degree grandmother. And she really loved me like her own child. Every time she talked about my mother, she would always ask, “anung gusto mong pasalubong pagdating ng nanay mo?”

As a young one, I would always response, “ring, necklace, bracelet, earrings, gun and soldier bag, soldier watch and soldier shade.” hehe.

The same conversation as ever….

After a month, my parents have finally come back. Before that, as I went back to my grandma’s (1st degree) house, they bought me a new dress. I had to wear it because Sharon will be coming. I didn’t still have an idea that the Sharon that they were referring was my mother.

So, until the said “Sharon” arrived. I just found out that she was my own mother. During that time, we already had our own house due to sacrifices of my mother in abroad. The whole family and relatives welcomed her so warmly. And the most awaiting part of her coming back was to see the baby girl she left before. And that baby girl was no other than, but ME. The moment I enter to our own house(they are waiting at home), my mom run towards me, hugged me so tight right away, kissed me as if it was the end of the world. I could see too much tears running on her temple as she hugged and kissed me. She brought me a lot of “Pasalubong”. She bought all of those I’ve mention I wish to have.

I was so aloof that time. I didn’t understand what’s happening around. She was my mother, they kept on telling me. and thank to God that I didn’t have the hard time to recognized her as my mom because for all my life, the people around me were kept on telling me about my mother.

As a mother who was longing for her child for a long time, she tried to make up everything to us. She never lacked of care and love for us, now she came back. She gave almost everything that we want. After one year, she got pregnant. We always went to CITY for her pre-natal check-up. I could say that the child was a lucky one, because even she was still at my mom’s womb he had already everything that he needed as he come out to this world, my mom prepared all the needs of the incoming baby. And all of us were really excited to see the baby.

April 28, 1996 in the midnight “Abdul-Aziz” was born, a baby boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment