Thursday, July 8, 2010

CHAPTER 3

I was already in my first grade in elementary. My teacher was happened to be my aunt. If it was not only because of her, I wouldn’t be able to take recess because during that time, I didn’t have any amount in me. My mom couldn’t be able to give me “baon” because life was no longer as comfortable as before. However, my mom was always a hero. Imagine she would even wake up early in the morning and make waffles just so I could sell them in school. In that way, I could help my mom to earn more in order for me to have “baon” in school.

Until I reached Grade 2, I was supposed to be just a visitor during grade one, but fortunately, I’ve passed. So, I made it up! And during that year, there suddenly came a blessing from God above. But He just made my uncle as the instrument in sending His blessing to us. Through the help of my uncle, we’ve raised our own poultry. It was actually the first and one and only poultry in the 2nd district of Zamboanga del Sur. We were into whole selling and retailing, and every municipality would depend on our poultry as the source of eggs and even chickens. Our poultry was not just composed of hundreds of chickens but a thousand of it.

And I could say that life during that time was almost perfect. We were not rich, but at least, we’ve experienced the luxury of life. My mom kept on celebrating my birthdays. We were also used to go n swimming at the beach twice a year. Every month, we would go on shopping, and every week, we would deposit a few amount on our own savings accounts. And during that year also, my mom gave birth to our youngest. It was a baby girl and parents named her “Sittie Farhanna”.

A year later…

I was supposed to be in Grade 3, but unfortunately, I didn’t take my class seriously, so I remained in Grade 2. I was a repeater. By that time, I could already get along with the class discussion, while before that I think; I was the only dull pupil in our section.

I was not supposed to attend my class because I didn’t want to see my teacher before. She really looked like a tiger—so wild face! But I didn’t just mind it at all.

Anyway, I was in section 4 during grade two (take 2), but the principal asked if why is it that I was in section 4 when my performance was supposed to be for section 1? My adviser explained it to the principal why. Besides, she didn’t really want me to transfer in section because according to her, “wala na siyang pambato” the moment I transferred to their section, so I just remain in section four.

But when I reached to my Grade 3, I was already in section 1. I was nine that time. And I could still remember during PTCA meeting when they elected my mom as the PTCA president, thinking that she had money. In just one request from the teachers would say “yes” without ado when in fact, with out there knowing, the source of our living was about to bankrupt. Many chickens died because of too much caused by the El Nino. The income decreased, until my father decided to close the business. (Year 1999...)

And it was not only the chickens that were affected, by the El Nino but also the rice fields. Our farm.. The soil dried which was the source of water. And the plants itself!.. No more business. No more incomes. Life was again, the same as it was before. We’re again on the down fall of life... L L L

No comments:

Post a Comment